About this blog

All opinions, perspectives, and beliefs on this blog are solely my own, unless otherwise stated, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, perspectives, or beliefs of any past or present employer, denomination, church, association, friend, or family member associated with the author.

Tuesday, September 18, 2012

A New Adventure: Call to Confession

While on our road trip from Texas to California, my husband, Andrew, and I stopped in Iowa to visit his family and friends from his college days (they are now very much my friends as well).  One of our stops for the Iowa leg of our trip, was the church where Andrew's college roommate is the pastor.  As much as I loved singing from the Country and Western Hymnal, I really appreciated the Call to Confession and Prayer of Confession that they used for their service, and I wanted to share them.

Call to Confession (said by the pastor):
With trembling hearts, knowing that we seldom discern our own errors, we turn ourselves to God.  Now is the acceptable time to come to the One who takes no delight in burnt offerings, but accepts sincere prayers of confession.  Let us repent and believe as we pray.

Prayer of Confession (said by congregation):
O Sovereign God, we confess that our plans for ourselves ignore the needs of many of our sisters and brothers.  We try to shut out the larger world that does not fit our comfortable design.  We are angry when called to account and bitter when circumstances do not work out to our advantage.  We are quick to see the sins of others and slow to recognize our own.  Keep us from throwing stones, O God, and protect us from the missiles others would throw at us. Forgive our preoccupation with minor concerns and lead us to focus on sharing love and forgiveness.  Through Christ.  Amen.

Now I know many would say that a pre-written prayer could never work for confessing our sins to God, because we have to name them specifically in order to repent and receive forgiveness.  I don't know about you, but when I say this prayer out loud it definitely brings to mind the sins of omission and commission, especially in areas that if it were up to me, I would skip right over and keep going in my usual merry sinful way.  So, I would encourage those who have not tried a pre-written prayer of confession, give it a go.  You might be surprised what the Holy Spirit does through it.  Let this be a new adventure for you.

No comments: