About this blog

All opinions, perspectives, and beliefs on this blog are solely my own, unless otherwise stated, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, perspectives, or beliefs of any past or present employer, denomination, church, association, friend, or family member associated with the author.

Saturday, November 19, 2011

Letter to an Immigrant

A Disclaimer:  This post is quite a bit different from my recent posts.  This post is also a reflection of my personal beliefs and convictions, and not necessarily position of the agency I currently work for.

 
Hello,

I don't really know who you are, although, I have heard the stories and stereotypes.  I am sure I have passed by you on the street and in the store, but I do not really know who you are.

Everyone around me is drawing lines in the sand saying you are a problem that needs to be solved.  Problems can be dissected, broken down, solved, compromised and walked away from.  However, I see you as a person, who is complicated and delicate, not easily discarded.  That makes my thoughts and feelings all the more confusing.  I have lived in a country as a foreign resident with a green card appreciating the tight controls in place at borders.  But, I wonder if all countries are the same.  My heart wants to offer a cup of cold water, but my head asks if you come just to take advantage or fleeing the law and if I will get hurt opening my hand to stranger.  However, if I am following the example Jesus set before me; do I even get to ask those questions?  If I look at the hands He offered, I will see the scars of offering. 

I wish there was a way to sit down and talk to you.  In all the discussion about this issue of immigration, there does not seem to be many people talking to you.  I do not know that any of us truly understand why you come or if we ever really will.  We have theories and probably uneducated guesses, but I do not know that anyone has actually stopped to ask you why you come.  We have seen hard times, here in the US, but I doubt that many have experienced desperate poverty.  What does make you so desperate to leave your country that you would risk your life to come here?  Do the rumors and movies make life look so fantastic here that you just have to see for yourself?  Is it the poverty and watching your oldest child give up his dinner, so that his younger siblings can eat?  Is it the drug gang violence that threatens to swallow up any possibility of a better life for your children?  Was it even your choice to come? Or were you taken from your home and family as a victim of the sex trade, and then dumped on the streets in a foreign land because of disease or pregnancy? 

I want to understand.  I want to listen.  I want to know you, instead of just throwing up walls and fences to insulate myself from real people.  I know many will consider me liberal or just plain crazy for saying all of this. I also know that I cannot solve the problems of your country that may bring you here.  But I do know that I never want to stop seeing the value of a human life no matter how that life was brought to my doorstep. 

Sincerely,
Your neighbor

4 comments:

Beth said...

Excellent post. It's so easy to loose sight our Christian love and call to care for people amidst politics and the like.

Jen said...

Great post. Nice how you got it off to a challenging start from the beginning - "do I even get to ask those questions? When I look at the hands He offered I see the scars of offering."

Kathryn said...

Beth & Jen, thanks for reading. Yes, I have a friend who says: As a follower of Jesus Christ, whether I see someone as a neighbor or an enemy, He has clearly taught how I am supposed to treat them.

Andrew K. Lee said...

Deeply thoughtful and thought-provoking--an excellent re-focusing away from the usual political hype on this issue to the key teachings of Jesus. This is yet another of the many reasons I love you :)