About this blog

All opinions, perspectives, and beliefs on this blog are solely my own, unless otherwise stated, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, perspectives, or beliefs of any past or present employer, denomination, church, association, friend, or family member associated with the author.

Saturday, December 17, 2011

Tis the Season . . .

For seven and a half years, I lived on a tropical island in the South China Sea, which put a very interesting spin on what makes it feel like Christmas to me.  First of all, December falls during the rainy season.  Nothing like snuggle up with the a/c blowing, a storm brewing and a cup of hot cocoa.  But the best part of December was the fact that it was finally pomelo season.  Oh yeah!  What is pomelo, you ask.  Indulge me for a few minutes while I share with you about my favorite fruit.

I present to you, the pomelo.

Pomelos are a citrus fruit and you will often see them labeled as a grapefruit, which is very wrong!  It is a pomelo.  Same family, different fruit.  An orange is not a grapefruit - that's all I'm saying.  But I guess until you actually try one you go with the what you know.  So, when you see pomelos mislabeled in your grocery store, know that someone is missing out on a fantastic fruit experience.  Can you tell I like pomelos yet?

Personally, the best way to enjoy a pomelo is to camp out on the cold tile floor with your knife, a bowl and a good movie.  That is not very practical for most Americans, but please do not let that stop you either. Here is a little guide to enjoying a luscious pomelo.

The first step is to select your pomelo at the store.  If you can find pomelos that come from The Philippines, you have struck pomelo gold.  Second runner up would be Thailand, then Malaysia followed by anything from the Western Hemisphere (unfortunately that is what I find most around here, but it is better than nothing.) Select two pomelos and notice which one is heavier, i.e. which one has more juice in it.  You can do this hand scale thing for a few more, but you may want to switch hands.

Now that you have your pomelo home with you, and you have danced a dance of joy, score the rind all the way around twice in opposing circles to create four sections.  Pomelos have a very think rind (up to 1/2 inch thick), so cut deep but not too deep.

Look ma! No hands!

Next, peel like you have never peeled before.

I told you it was thick.  You didn't believe me, did you?

Once you have it all peeled you find a pretty treasure inside.

Rind on the right, treasure on the left.
Peel as much of the fluffy white stuff as possible, mainly cause it's fun.  Maybe that is just me.  Unlike, other citrus fruits you really don't want to eat the skin of the pomelo section (it's just really thick).  Once you break open the skin the meat comes out quite easily with your teeth or fingers.  Yummy! 

I prefer the white flesh pomelos, but this will do.
I know what you are thinking - looks like a grapefruit.  Let me assure you that it has a much more mellow sweet flavor than that tart tang of a grapefruit.  It is very refreshing.  Just go try one already.  Oh, and Merry Christmas.

No comments: