About this blog

All opinions, perspectives, and beliefs on this blog are solely my own, unless otherwise stated, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, perspectives, or beliefs of any past or present employer, denomination, church, association, friend, or family member associated with the author.

Monday, June 30, 2014

If I were the owner of Hobby Lobby . . .

If I were the owner of Hobby Lobby, I would have done things differently. Let me be clear that this is not because I have moved from being pro-life to pro-choice. I strongly believe that abortion hurts and kills more than an unborn child. However, I have also come to strongly believe that litigation like that pursued by Hobby Lobby and legislation often pursued by other pro-life groups merely applies a pretty pink Barbie band-aid to a gaping, festering, and infected wound. Working with band-aids is somewhat quicker work, definitely cleaner, and you have something to show for it in the end. But I'm not sure that is what matters; I'm not sure that is the kind of witness we are called to be.

So, as the fictitious owner of Hobby Lobby the wound is where I would have focused my efforts.

Personally, the reaction to the ObamaCare policy that I see as much more of reflection of Christ's love is to convey this message to my employees in person, through video, and hand-signed letter:

Dear Valued Employee, (insert name),

I am follower of Jesus Christ. As such, I believe in the dignity of human life from the moment of conception, and some of the medicines and procedures we are required to provide in the new health care policy bring out a termination of life. I would ask that you respect that belief and not use the company provided insurance to procure such medicines and procedures.

But I also want to go beyond this to say that as a family-owned business I believe you are a part of my family. As such, I want to be available to help you in times of need. If you find yourself in a situation where you feel that these types of medicines or abortion procedures are the only option, I have contracted with a counselors in all store location areas, who can help you through these situations. These counselors are independent resources and do not report to me or store management. I am also including special cell phone number that I will carry if you want to talk directly to me.

(This is the first alternative I could come up with, but this is where I would pull together wise colleagues for help and ideas).

Sincerely,
Kathryn A Lee
Not the Owner of Hobby Lobby

I know this method may not have garnered any media attention, and certainly would not have ended up before the Supreme Court. And, I'm sure to some it seems way too soft on the hard issues and touchy-feely. I am also sure that it would not have put a significant dent in the numbers of abortions the next year. But, for the one or two who felt loved, seen, and cared about - that is where it matters, that is the hands and feet of Christ at work.


2 comments:

Amy+ said...

That would indeed be a great start. Another would be to not only cover the minimal maternity leave and Family Practice Act, but to provide generous additions and childcare subsidies. I cannot find any article that mentions what a family-friendly place it is to work.

Martha said...

Indeed a much better option! These dramatic acts tend to leave me suspecting they want to fight a battle rather than actually make a dent in social issues.