About this blog

All opinions, perspectives, and beliefs on this blog are solely my own, unless otherwise stated, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, perspectives, or beliefs of any past or present employer, denomination, church, association, friend, or family member associated with the author.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Language Study – Day 14



17 August is Indepence Day here. The English Centre here held a celebration the following Saturday, and I decided to dive deep into culture by attending. I had heard about silly games. I can handle a 3-legged race, pie eating contests, etc. . .but I discovered a whole new level of holiday games. . .eels. Yes, those slimy little suckers are a big part of a much anticipated annual game. Of course, being the foreign guest I just had to participate. The people here are so friendly; it is extremely hard to say no, as you can see from the pictures. In fact, one of the guys who helps run the centre teased me about seeming like I was having a hard time fitting in and getting along with others. I think I was in every picture that was taken that day and talked to pretty much every person that attended. It was a great day, and I even managed to practice my language while trying to figure out how to handle an eel.

Allison, one of my teammates, with the hand-off. Yes, they are alive.















The bottle I had to get the wiggly little suckers into after the hand-off. We lost by one eel . . . thank goodness.

No comments: