About this blog

All opinions, perspectives, and beliefs on this blog are solely my own, unless otherwise stated, and do not necessarily reflect the opinions, perspectives, or beliefs of any past or present employer, denomination, church, association, friend, or family member associated with the author.

Sunday, September 10, 2006

Language Study – Day 16

The one culture shock I have experienced here so far is my lack of easy mobility. My lovely coordinated, structured, timely, air conditioned bus and subway system is gone. Also gone is my nice flat land. The hills around here are better than a Stair Master. The easiest way to get around is by motorbike. They can easily navigate through traffic jams and all the one way streets and narrow lanes. So, when I was told that there was a motorbike that wasn’t assigned to anyone and that lessons would be provided, I jumped at the chance to learn. Now I have ridden on motorbikes in several countries now, but I have discovered that riding and driving are completely different. When you realize the responsibility required for remaining upright, you gain an all new appreciation for the four “walls” of a car. My first attempt – made a good run through my neighborhood . . .in first gear . . .top speed of 20 kph . . .only fell into one ditch . . .minor bruise, no blood.

Mom, Dad . . . breath.

No comments: